Prohibition on irrigating non-functional turf with potable water in the commercial, industrial, and institutional sector including homeowner associations’ common areas. The ban on irrigation includes non-residential grass areas that are considered ornamental and not otherwise used for recreation or other community purposes.
NORMAL WATER SUPPLY – No shortage exists.
The following practices that waste potable water are prohibited:
- Runoff – Irrigation shall not be allowed to run off to adjoining properties or to the roadside ditch or gutter.
- Watering after a Rainfall Event – No irrigation shall be allowed for 48 hours after a measurable rainfall event. A measurable rainfall event shall be defined as an event having 0.10 inches of rain in one day.
- Hoses – Open hoses are not permitted. Automatic shutoff nozzles are required.
- Washing driveways and other paved areas – Use of water to clean sidewalks, driveways, patios, or other hardscapes is not permitted. Washing of streets and commercial parking lots with a hose is not permitted, except to alleviate immediate fire or sanitation hazards.
- Pools, ponds and fountains – All swimming pools, ponds, fountains, or other decorative water feature shall use recirculated water.
- Irrigating After Rainfall – The Elk Grove Water District refers to the Department of Water Resources California Data Exchange Center (CDEC) in determining when measurable rainfall has occurred in our District. EGWD defines measurable rainfall as 1/10 of an inch (.10).
The following practices are encouraged:
- Irrigation – Limit landscape irrigation to not more than 3 days per week.
- Irrigation hours – Landscaping irrigation is discouraged between the hours of 12:00 p.m. and 6:00 p.m. during the summer months (May – October).
- Serving of Water – Restaurants shall serve water to customers only upon request.
- Water Leaks – Leaking pipes, fixtures or sprinklers shall be repaired promptly.
PENALTIES FOR WATER WASTING UNDER NORMAL WATER SUPPLY CONDITIONS
- First and Second Violation – Customer is notified of a violation.
- Third Violation – Written warning sent to customer.